1. No Profile Picture
    ASP Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Web Client for SQL Server - suggestions

Hello, friends.

I'm 20 y.o.
    I'm currently learning techniques of creating enterprise databases. It is very interesting to create a client-server architecture to access database using a web browser. Long time serfing the Internet, I found a lot of discussions and info, but nothing could explain me how to start! Now I've come to the most stupid situation when I really don't know what development tools do I need among the great number of them.

Can you give me some advice? Using what tools should I create web client to work with SQL Server database? Users need to view data, add data, modify data and each of them should have the certain permissions (access rights) and they need to use a web browser for that. What is better: Silverlight, Visual Studio NET or what else?

Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture

Also, supposing I'll choose Visual Studio NET, could you help me start a new project and guide me a little through the process, please? I really need human help.
  5. No Profile Picture

Nobody knows??
    Nobody have given even a short advice... Doesn't anybody know anything about it? What kind of forum is it then? For whom is it if you can't give me just an advice??? I know. You don't help beginners, because you are weak and scared that other people will take your bread from you. But I hope you are not like that, otherwise people are not far from monkey..
  7. Contributing User
    ASP Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

I'm not sure what you exactly want to know, But you need web server with IIS configured to run your website(s), register domain name and pointed to your server with IIS. I would say you need to develop your site in .Net C# or VB is your choice. And for database I would prefer SQL server. Which you can install on the same box or on separate box on your internal network (preferable)
    For developers you need Visual studio and SQL Server Management Studio. I hope it is what you asking for...
    GK
    __________________________________________________ _____
    if you found this post is useful click Give Rep button (bottom side on this reply ) and agree
  9. No Profile Picture

Yes, this is what I'm asking, thank you very much. This answer is good for beginning.
    So, I already have SQL Server. Now I need SQL Server Management Studio to develop database on the server and Visual Studio (e.g. .NET C#) to create website. OK, it's good.
    If I'm correct, SSMS is a free tool even for enterprises, right? So I can download it and use without any charges, or not?
    Could you tell me, what version of SQL Server is preferable? I'm currently using SQL Server 2005. Is there any reason to install another version for my project?
  11. Contributing User

I do not know what size of database and other requirement you have, but I think if you have SQL server 2005 it will work for you (SQL 2008 and 2012 has more build in functions, but in most cases 2005 is enough you can read more about differences there Advantages of SQL Server 2008 over SQL Server 2005? - Stack Overflow) You can use free SSMS for development (creating and executing query stored procedures, functions), but if you need maintenance plan back up or restore database all that only available from command line. If you decide to buy SQL 2008 R2 SSMS comes with SQL server software and it is full pack with VS2008 SQlL edition for SSIS. If you planning to buy all that I would recommend to check prices for MSDN subscription sometimes it is make sense to buy subscription for year and download all development software you need.
  13. No Profile Picture

Ok, thank you, your answers really help me. I've read the article which you recommended. I think server 2005 is good for beginning and of course for learning things. Also I found SSMS tool useful to visually create database and fill it with data, so now SQL Server + SSMS will be used for this database. I think I can improve my skills during the development and learn to work with command line too. Now I have many things to understand, such as roles, users, schemas etc.

Speaking about creating web interface in .NET, you gave me an advice, but let me ask you, do I really need full Visual Studio installation or I can install only Visual C# (or Visual C# Express) to begin develop web interface, web pages and forms? Does it contain everything necessary for development? What exactly tool (or set of tools) do I need for this part of my project?
  15. Contributing User

You can do web development with just notepad, it is just set of text files with different extensions, which should be in right locations and referenced to each other.... (of cause you should have .Net runtime have installed), but specially for beginners it would be too complicated... Just download visual studio 2010 express (it is free) and it is enough for start web development.
  17. No Profile Picture

No, I tried to develop websites in notepad. It was real time wasting)
    Ok, got it, thanks.
    Not sure what questions will arise later, so I wouldn't consider this discussion finished. You know, it all is not very clear for me now, there are many uncertainties, so many "what if" and "how to".
    Do you know filegroups in sql server? Can you explain, depending on what criteria should I divide database into multiple files? I don't see any practical purpose now. My database will include around 15 tables, and maybe 5 of them will contain very large number of rows, thousands of rows. What should I take into consideration planning the database and filegroups?
  19. Contributing User

No. Thousands of records is very small table... I have tables with hundred billions of records and that needs to have partitions, but for a few million records you do not need to worry about it. So, for start, it is one database 15 tables, pay attention on primary key for each table and additional indexes... Make sure you have right database design, it could have major impact on your future development and sql performance.
    Last edited by gk53; December 21st, 2012 at 02:44 PM.
  21. No Profile Picture

Oh my goodness, billions of records. I can't imagine what is it like, dealing with such a giant database.
    Yes, I try to thoroughly work on the database design, apply normalization rules and predict all possible changes that may occur in future, but this project is completely new field of knowledge and skills for me, so I'm very grateful for your help and for navigating me.
    Now I'm going to install visual studio 2008 and start reading a book about building asp.net 3.5 website and hope I'll find useful things in it. Also I'm currently discovering security techniques concerning users and schemas in SQL Server. But, actually, I haven't created any of them yet because it is not clear for me what should be done first, what next etc. I had error messages when tried to create users and schemas. So, before asking a question I should understand basics.
    Can I rely on your help next week?
  23. Contributing User

Yes, I'll be around next week
  25. No Profile Picture

Thank you for readiness to help. I think I'll continue reading, learning and implementing it in my database. According to your advice, I decided to use Visual Studio 2010 Express for beginning, but have both VS2008Pro and VS2012Express. I know Visual Studio and actually VC++ 2008, so it's familiar.
    I have an idea. Could you tell me, please, what are weak points and disadvantages. I have a special table with all users and their unique identifiers. It's used only to assign the "access type" mark to each user. It can be A or B or C an so on, depending on the tasks they should perform in the database. And, depending on the "Access Type" mark, user's home page and access to other pages and data will be different. So, E - means the lowest access level. His home page is the page with his own personal info, he can't access any other data or page. When a user logs in, I need to display his home page with the information relevant to his functions. Is it safe or not to use a table with access type assigned to each user? If not, how is it better to do this? If the message is not very clear, sorry, it's just an idea and I'm not experienced in security yet, just tell me what you think.