Notices

Great community. Great ideas.

Welcome to ASP/Free, a community dedicated to helping beginners and professionals alike in improving their knowledge of Microsoft's development and administration technologies. Sign up today to gain access to the combined insight of tens of thousands of members.

Thread: All about Access Coding: Learning the basics of Visual Basic, SQL, etc.

Share This Thread →
    Siena is offline Contributing User

All about Access Coding: Learning the basics of Visual Basic, SQL, etc.

After 8 years of teaching myself Access (with a lot of help from Access forums!), I think I have come to the point where I simply have to learn how to use VB, SQL, etc. I have done a small amount of "cut-and-paste" coding, but as my databases get more advanced and the functions I want to add become more complex, I simply can't avoid getting into the nitty gritty of the coding.

And really, it's not even the really complicated stuff that I need to know how to do. Just knowing where to put the commands, the code, and how to use a .dll file would be a bit improvement. In another thread, someone gave me a tip on what code to use to make my form automatically save, and I don't even know how to use that information. I know this post makes this hard to believe, but I am a fairly advanced computer user. I just need a tutorial or something so that I can learn these basic things.

The most recent problem I'm having is sending mail from within a database. I'm in the preliminary research phase, where I search around for ways that other people have done this. I found what sounds like a great program called vbsendmail, but I have no idea how to use it.

Does anyone know of a web page tutorial where I can get some basic how-to information on how to use code? I don't really need to know at this stage how to write it myself, but learning how to use the code that people on this forum share would be great, for instance. I've done a little bit of that, but not enough to get through it without serious hand holding. I want to know more of the ways this all works so that the next time someone cut-and-pastes some code for me, I'll be able to look at it and say, oh, I know exactly where to put that, how I need to customize it, and what it generally means.

Thanks!

June7 is offline Moderator
    Google: Access introduction to VBA

Here is one:
    Introduction to Access VBA

Here is a thread about sending email:
    Access 2010 - Sending emial (VBA or Macro)
    I like to know if my suggestion helped you. One way to let me know is by clicking star at bottom left corner of post.
    Debug!Debug!Debug!http://www.cpearson.com/excel/debug.htm

Share This Thread →

Become Part of This Conversation

Join NowFor Free!