1. No Profile Picture
    ASP Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Can more than one person view a database?

Hi,

I was just wondering if there was a way in which I could allow a number of employees to view the database I have created at the same time and is it possible for each employee to make changes within the database and save there changes?

Any help will be apreciated.

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    ASP Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Yes. You can do this, however there are a few things to keep in mind.

If you have multiple people viewing your database at the same time I would strongly suggest you split your database into a front end (data entry/reports/queries/etc) and a back end (tables). There is a tool in Access to do this for you. Once you perform the split you would give every person using the database their own copy of the FRONT END.

Second, Access really does not like to have more than about 5 - 10 concurrent users depending on how frequently the database is being used and how many currently have it open. If you intend to use the database for heavy duty data entry (people who do nothing but enter data all day) then I would really not suggest having more than about 2 or 3 concurrent users. If, however, the database is being used for light data entry or only 1 or 2 people are doing data entry and everyone else just needs to look up data then you should be ok with a lot more users as long as you restrict who can and can not add data either through your forms or network settings.

Comments on this post

• don94403 agrees : Excellent summary of the capabilities.
    ----------------
    If we've helped you and you have solved your problem please post that it's been resolved so we know! The suspense kills me!
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by rpeare
    Yes. You can do this, however there are a few things to keep in mind.

If you have multiple people viewing your database at the same time I would strongly suggest you split your database into a front end (data entry/reports/queries/etc) and a back end (tables). There is a tool in Access to do this for you. Once you perform the split you would give every person using the database their own copy of the FRONT END.

Second, Access really does not like to have more than about 5 - 10 concurrent users depending on how frequently the database is being used and how many currently have it open. If you intend to use the database for heavy duty data entry (people who do nothing but enter data all day) then I would really not suggest having more than about 2 or 3 concurrent users. If, however, the database is being used for light data entry or only 1 or 2 people are doing data entry and everyone else just needs to look up data then you should be ok with a lot more users as long as you restrict who can and can not add data either through your forms or network settings.
    Thanks RP i'll give it a go and see how I get on. I sent you an email earlier today please have a look and let me know what you think. I have sent it to your Gmail account.

Thanks again for your help.
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks for this reply. I am just about to do the same myself, so it was very useful !!

Cheers,
    Geir