1. No Profile Picture
    ASP Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Need help with database setup/search

Hi,

I've been using access for a couple of months now, just getting by for data analysis. I've got my database table set up to try and enter production downtime codes. The problem is that I have the database set up to record production line downtime codes so I can analyze production, but I also want to monitor each piece of equipment within the line and it's downtime trends. I look at the line as a whole as far as date, work order, scrap, good/bad parts, operator, etc., but I want to also look at the individual pieces of equipment in the line and see if one is trending to be a major cause of downtime. I want to get a good baseline on what "normal" is for each piece of equipment, so I can then start at the biggest problem and start improving these processes. I have separate columns in access for downtime code 1, downtime minutes 1, downtime code 2, downtime minutes 2, and so on. While this is ok, when I want to search for a specific code I have to look at multiple columns for the same number and there's got to be a better way to either set up my database or search it. I input a stack of these shift reports to get the data every week, so I don't have a lot of extra time to create separate tables, but would be willing to do it if that's what's gotta be done.

I know I'm bound to be leaving some detail in trying to describe this to make it clearer, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
  3. Moderator
    ASP Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

You need to normalize the data structure. And yes, this could mean more tables. Review 'sticky' thread tutorials at top of forum.

Otherwise, there are techniques to manipulate non-normalized data (UNION query is one) but probably just as troublesome as fixing the data structure.

Each 'downtime code' field is for a piece of equipment on that line? Consider:

tblLines
    LineID (PK)
    LineDesc

tlbEquipment
    EquipID (PK)
    LineID (FK)
    EquipDesc

tblDownTime
    EquipID (FK)
    DownDateTimeStart
    DownDateTimeEnd
    Last edited by June7; November 14th, 2012 at 04:00 PM.
    I like to know if my suggestion helped you. One way to let me know is by clicking star at bottom left corner of post.
    Debug!Debug!Debug!http://www.cpearson.com/excel/debug.htm