Notices

Great community. Great ideas.

Welcome to ASP/Free, a community dedicated to helping beginners and professionals alike in improving their knowledge of Microsoft's development and administration technologies. Sign up today to gain access to the combined insight of tens of thousands of members.

Thread: Try to input data using field, get a error 'beep'

Share This Thread →
    Data001 is offline Contributing User

Try to input data using field, get a error 'beep'

This is going to be extremely frustrating for all parties involved, because there's no error message - or any hint as to what's going on.

I have a form, frmSub, that has comboboxs linked to fields in two different tables, Products and PurchaseDetails. All the comboboxes linked to Products are working fine, but when I try and enter anything into the ones connected to PurchaseDetails all I get is a 'beep' and nothing happens.

I've definitely included all the appropriate fields in the record source of the form. I have no idea what else to try.

Here's the code for the record source query of the form. PurchaseDetail.Price and PurchaseDetail.Quantity are the fields not working:

Code:
    SELECT Products.Product, Products.Size, Products.Brand, Products.UnitOfMeasure, Products.ProductID, PurchaseDetail.Price, PurchaseDetail.Quantity
    FROM Products INNER JOIN PurchaseDetail ON Products.ProductID = PurchaseDetail.ProductID;

Toyman is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Data001
    This is going to be extremely frustrating for all parties involved, because there's no error message - or any hint as to what's going on.

I have a form, frmSub, that has comboboxs linked to fields in two different tables, Products and PurchaseDetails. All the comboboxes linked to Products are working fine, but when I try and enter anything into the ones connected to PurchaseDetails all I get is a 'beep' and nothing happens.

I've definitely included all the appropriate fields in the record source of the form. I have no idea what else to try.

Here's the code for the record source query of the form. PurchaseDetail.Price and PurchaseDetail.Quantity are the fields not working:

Code:
    SELECT Products.Product, Products.Size, Products.Brand, Products.UnitOfMeasure, Products.ProductID, PurchaseDetail.Price, PurchaseDetail.Quantity
    FROM Products INNER JOIN PurchaseDetail ON Products.ProductID = PurchaseDetail.ProductID;
    Ok, you might have to change the record type setting in your form or query. Look at the below info from MS Access:

Dynaset 0 (Default) You can edit bound controls based on a single table or tables with a one-to-one relationship. For controls bound to fields based on tables with a one-to-many relationship, you can't edit data from the join field on the "one" side of the relationship unless cascade update is enabled between the tables. For more information, see the topic that explains when you can update records from a query.

Dynaset (Inconsistent Updates) 1 All tables and controls bound to their fields can be edited.

Snapshot 2 No tables or the controls bound to their fields can be edited.

don94403 is offline Contributing User
    Quote Originally Posted by Data001

Code:
    Can you run the query by itself, from the QBE Design View?
    Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone.

Data001 is offline Contributing User
    Worked like a charm, Toyman! I've been trying for so long to debug that damn error.

Why does MS Access have to have so many hidden options that are never even hinted at in the help files, or in error messages? It's making it near impossible to learn my way arround.

Thanks again, Toyman - and you too, don94403 for your reply.

Share This Thread →

Become Part of This Conversation

Join NowFor Free!