Notices

Great community. Great ideas.

Welcome to ASP/Free, a community dedicated to helping beginners and professionals alike in improving their knowledge of Microsoft's development and administration technologies. Sign up today to gain access to the combined insight of tens of thousands of members.

Thread: ODBC Connection Issue

Share This Thread →
    AndrewT is offline Contributing User

ODBC Connection Issue

I have had a application running on a shared server pretty much faultlessly for several years. It uses an ODBC connection which hooks in to a MS Access 2003 database at the backend. I like it this way rather that SQL, it's easy to install and maintain and the number of users on the app is small so it works great.

However I am now trying to set it up on a dedciated server as I am looking to roll the app out to a numner of other users, all of whom will run the app seperatly linked through their own domains, but all hosted on my server.

I am having real trouble setting up the ODBC connections though. I have purchased the server through a compnay called 1&1 and they told me it would all be possible but I am beginning to think not.

The server is running Windows Server R8 and when I went to setup the ODBC connections initially there was no MS Access connector available and my server admin guy had to manually install the drivers.

Still even after doing this, and apparently being able to make the necessary connection I am still getting an error when trying to access a page on which a connection to the DB is required. The error is of course of no help at all - it just says 'There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed'

Is anyone aware of any issues with making ODBC connections with Windows sefver R8 or could it be that there is a problem with the server itself?

markoc is offline Contributing User

ODBC Connection Issue

Hi,

Microsoft doesnít provide a 64-bit version of the Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Jet, so Iím assuming that you set up the connection using the 32bit version of the ODBC exe?
    Normally found in c:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe, creating a DSN connection.

'There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed' error message by default is displayed to remote clients, detailed error messages on show on localhost.
    You can elevate the error message to remote users, but this should really only be used on your dev version. Not recommended for production.
    Run the following from an elevated command prompt on the IIS server
    %windir%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd.exe set config -section:system.webServer/httpErrors -errorModeetailed
    Iím assuming your front end is classic asp?
    Something you need to think about is that if your getting more users to connect, MS Access is a single threaded database, so it might be time to think about upgrading to something like MS SQL server.
    Hope this advise helps.

If so please show your appreciation by adding reputation points (click gauge image on top right of this post and score).

markoc is offline Contributing User

ODBC Connection Issue

elevated command prompt should read
    Code:
    %windir%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd.exe set config -section:system.webServer/httpErrors -errorMode:Detailed

q97
    q97 is offline Contributing User
    Most likely reason is that you need to set NTFS permissions on the folder where the database is located to include the IIS_USR... account or any user account you are using for IIS access permissions, to have modify permissions as it will need to read, modify and create files in that directory, namely the database itself and perhaps even the database lock file.

jakson0100 is offline Permanently Banned
    the odbc connection can not occurs in my system.

Share This Thread →

Become Part of This Conversation

Join NowFor Free!