Notices

Great community. Great ideas.

Welcome to ASP/Free, a community dedicated to helping beginners and professionals alike in improving their knowledge of Microsoft's development and administration technologies. Sign up today to gain access to the combined insight of tens of thousands of members.

Thread: URL to access localhost

Share This Thread →
    roughneck82 is offline Contributing User

URL to access localhost

Is there any possible way for me to type in a URL
    such as www.mywebsite.com into my addy bar in my
    browser and have it bring up a certain file in my
    wwwroot folder?

Aeternas is offline Registered User
    You should make a website or virtual folder (depends on which windows version you're using) in IIS. If you're running Linux, then I cannot help you, sorry.

On your desktop, right-click "myComputer", go to "Manage". Then click "Services", and go to "IIS". If you're running winXP or win2000-Professional, you'll have a "StandardWebsite" thingy there. Right-click it and go to "New" and click "Virtual folder". In the "Alias" thing, you should write a name of the website ("www.whatever.com") or something that helps you remember what this site is about ("myHobbySite"). Then choose a folder in the wwwroot where your wesite is situated.
    In win2000 server edition you should make a new website (instead of a virtual folder) and the other things are basically the same (I think, but it's been a while since I've done it).

When you've made your virtual folder or website, then you should right-click the virtual folder/website, go to "properties" and there you can make some finishing touches. FOr instance, set the default page for your website (when people go to "www.whatever.com" a page should be displayed). In the "documents" tab you should add the name of your default page (like "home.htm" or "index.htm").

When you type "http://localhost//nameOfYourVirtualFolder" in your browser you get your website. If you want to type "www.whatever.com" then you'll have to configure the DNS with forward lookup zones and stuff... (The MS DNS configuration thingy)

I hope it does you some good...

roughneck82 is offline Contributing User
    Also,

When I assign the virtual folder does it have to be in the wwwroot folder for asp to work when I view it in the browser?

Can I just have a directory in My Documents or on the C Drive and it still work?

ltarrant is offline Contributing User
    Assuming you've got a webserver running on your machine you could just edit you host file.

Go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc open the file hosts in notepad

And add the line 127.0.0.1 www.mywebsite.com

Share This Thread →

Become Part of This Conversation

Join NowFor Free!