1. No Profile Picture
    ASP Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

What to use as a front end?

I have created a database using Access 2007, but now would like to move the database over to SQL as a back end, but am unsure of what .net application to use. The programming language would have to be C#.

I have Microsoft Visual C# 2010 and Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010 currently installed.

Also would it be best creating the database within the application, or creating it separately and linking it in?

Thanks for the help
  3. Contributing User
    ASP Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Hi,

if you allready have the database created in access, you can simply import that into sql (take care of index, keys and all other stuffs)

what does that mean? " Also would it be best creating the database within the application?" you can create the database in sql and
    try adding the connection string in web.config file will access the external database. that could be sql ,oracle,access or sybase any one.

let me know still if you have any issue
    if you found this post is useful click Give Rep button (bottom side on this reply ) and agree

Jquery Shake Effect ,
    Andriod KitKat

Thank You,
    KiranK
  5. No Profile Picture
    ASP Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hi sorry I wasn't clear, the database is only small so can add a SQL database as part of the project, instead of having to connect it in from sql management studio.

But my main question is what should I use as the front end in Visual Studio? A WPF application, a dynamic website? There is so many I'm not sure what would be most usful for a simple database, which needs to print reports.

Many thanks.
  7. Contributing User

Hi,
    ok, if you only want it to print the report you can use the web application ( file new project ->select Visaul C# from left hand side and select asp.net web application).
    you will find the default.aspx pages, where you can write the code of gridview and pass the datasource as a access file thats it.
  9. Contributing User

it is depends from what you want. Desktop application or web application and what level of your knowledge
    GK
    __________________________________________________ _____
    if you found this post is useful click Give Rep button (bottom side on this reply ) and agree

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo