Notices

Great community. Great ideas.

Welcome to ASP/Free, a community dedicated to helping beginners and professionals alike in improving their knowledge of Microsoft's development and administration technologies. Sign up today to gain access to the combined insight of tens of thousands of members.

Thread: SEO and Local Search

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Share This Thread →
    pws1970 is offline Contributing User

SEO and Local Search

SEO and Local Search

It has been stated many times on the web that getting to grips with SEO is better to start off ranking your site for local searches. I agree with this wholeheartedly. Trying to roll up your sleeves and compete for highly competitive keywords when you have little or no experience is soul destroying and nine times out of ten a persons SEO experience will end right there.

Thus local SEO is the way forward to gain those prized ranking positions and priceless experience. I will give a few examples in this post to help you achieve improved rankings for your site.

Firstly lets look at the Title Tag: For this example I'm going to presume that your company does Web Design and your company is based in my local city of Glasgow. Now this ain't rocket science but by having the phrase “Web Design Glasgow” in my title tag is as good a starting point as any. Some companies like to have their company name or brand in the Title tag along with the URL of the site. I always opt against this unless it is actually the company name or the brand that I'm more interested on optimizing for. Now as I have a little knowledge about keyword research I would also add the word 'company' so that our title tag now looks like the following: “Web Design Company Glasgow” - that's it, anymore and you begin too dilute the strength of your keyword phrase.

Then in the keyword meta tag I would reiterate the title tag as is: “Web Design Company Glasgow”- nothing else as this is the phrase that I want to target. I know some SEO guys who completely forget about the meta keyword tag as they know Google just skips this and goes straight into the content for the search terms. Personally, I like to use it because its just not Google I optimise for but all Search Engines.

The description tag is just that - it explains what the page is all about - so for this example I would put: "Professional and affordable web design company | YourCompanyName based in Glasgow" - nothing fancy just the right amount to help entice a user user to click-through to your page. Notice the pipe bar in the middle of the description - this is a short-cut mode to relay different types of info quickly and effectively in a short sentence.

Our body content is the next stage we turn our attention too. Right at the beginning I would have a H1 tag with the words “Affordable Web Design Company in Glasgow” or something that not only once again holds our keyword phrase but also makes sense to a human reader. If you just code for Search Engine robots or spiders then you may get high rankings but all that effort will be in vain because it'll just look and read awful to the human eye and they'll exit as soon as they enter.

By also having your address in the site of your company you can again replicate the location you are trying to optimize for. One or two more mentions of “Web Design” in the content should be enough to suffice. Remember do things naturally – there is such a thing as over-optimizing a page and stuffing keywords every 5 or 6 words apart- this will do you more harm than good and may even get your site penalized.

Finally do some off-page optimizing by submitting your site to a few on-line directories. Some are paid some are free, some require a link back from your site to theirs (this is called a reciprocal link).
    When submitting your site to the directory make your title in the submission form similar to your localized keyword phrase - “Web Design Company Glasgow” - this is known as having rich keyword anchor text and helps greatly in defining what your site should rank in the Search Engines.

All in all this is a pretty basic level SEO task. We focus on one search keyword phrase and we localize it to gain a better ranking position. Give it a week or so then check Google, Yahoo or MSN to see if there has been improvement in your SERPs (Search Engine Ranking Positions).

Understand why these small changes have worked and once you see improvement move onto another page and run through the same process with another keyword phrase and so on and so on.
    At all times never make too many changes as then you'll never know what is actually working for you or against you.

All the best,

Paul
    Last edited by pws1970; April 17th, 2007 at 06:44 PM.

Mellanie is offline Registered User
    Right that useful tips, focus on one single keyword and your target location more efective than you try to make competition with global search

cools4u is offline Registered User
    it is true not to focus to many keywords at the same time rather than focus two keywords maximum...for successful website optimisation....

mikecriss is offline Registered User

Re:SEo

Its better idea and good approach to start with a single or couple of keywords to rank it up.After that u got good ranking you can add new keywords and and maintain others.

softech10 is offline Registered User

Re:SEO and Local Search

Hey we know search engine provides the world wide results for query but there are some search engine that also provide local search

adonaaddie is offline Registered User
    People want to know whom they are dealing with online. They want to be able to visit your business location for your offerings, or at least have the peace of mind that they could if they wanted to.

john.lawson is offline Registered User

Maximum two keywords are best for new website

If you want to get top ranked in search results then initially start with maximum two keywords and do link building for those. This will really boost your web traffic..

tauseefazhar is offline Registered User

Thumbs up Local Optimizing factors

Your content should target geographically
    Title, Meta tags should be optimized for local area
    Create Google Map
    Submit in local Directories
    Good Citation
    Business Name in Domain
    Creating Business Profile
    Other Traditional SEO Factors

Tauseef Azhar

webmaster007 is offline Banned

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tauseefazhar
    Your content should target geographically
    Title, Meta tags should be optimized for local area
    Create Google Map
    Submit in local Directories
    Good Citation
    Business Name in Domain
    Creating Business Profile
    Other Traditional SEO Factors

Tauseef Azhar

Great one Tauseef Azhar, thanks for sharing other resources

Danny Higson
    Cheap Web Hosting

DazBraun is offline Registered User
    Thank you for giving so useful tips.

WebOutGateway is offline Registered User
    You can also consider a local domain, IP address and hosting provider. These can help your site to get better rankings on local search engines

smithjames758 is offline Registered User

SEO an Local Search

Quote Originally Posted by pws1970
    SEO and Local Search

It has been stated many times on the web that getting to grips with SEO is better to start off ranking your site for local searches. I agree with this wholeheartedly. Trying to roll up your sleeves and compete for highly competitive keywords when you have little or no experience is soul destroying and nine times out of ten a persons SEO experience will end right there.

Thus local SEO is the way forward to gain those prized ranking positions and priceless experience. I will give a few examples in this post to help you achieve improved rankings for your site.

Firstly lets look at the Title Tag: For this example I'm going to presume that your company does Web Design and your company is based in my local city of Glasgow. Now this ain't rocket science but by having the phrase “Web Design Glasgow” in my title tag is as good a starting point as any. Some companies like to have their company name or brand in the Title tag along with the URL of the site. I always opt against this unless it is actually the company name or the brand that I'm more interested on optimizing for. Now as I have a little knowledge about keyword research I would also add the word 'company' so that our title tag now looks like the following: “Web Design Company Glasgow” - that's it, anymore and you begin too dilute the strength of your keyword phrase.

Then in the keyword meta tag I would reiterate the title tag as is: “Web Design Company Glasgow”- nothing else as this is the phrase that I want to target. I know some SEO guys who completely forget about the meta keyword tag as they know Google just skips this and goes straight into the content for the search terms. Personally, I like to use it because its just not Google I optimise for but all Search Engines.

The description tag is just that - it explains what the page is all about - so for this example I would put: "Professional and affordable web design company | YourCompanyName based in Glasgow" - nothing fancy just the right amount to help entice a user user to click-through to your page. Notice the pipe bar in the middle of the description - this is a short-cut mode to relay different types of info quickly and effectively in a short sentence.

Our body content is the next stage we turn our attention too. Right at the beginning I would have a H1 tag with the words “Affordable Web Design Company in Glasgow” or something that not only once again holds our keyword phrase but also makes sense to a human reader. If you just code for Search Engine robots or spiders then you may get high rankings but all that effort will be in vain because it'll just look and read awful to the human eye and they'll exit as soon as they enter.

By also having your address in the site of your company you can again replicate the location you are trying to optimize for. One or two more mentions of “Web Design” in the content should be enough to suffice. Remember do things naturally – there is such a thing as over-optimizing a page and stuffing keywords every 5 or 6 words apart- this will do you more harm than good and may even get your site penalized.

Finally do some off-page optimizing by submitting your site to a few on-line directories. Some are paid some are free, some require a link back from your site to theirs (this is called a reciprocal link).
    When submitting your site to the directory make your title in the submission form similar to your localized keyword phrase - “Web Design Company Glasgow” - this is known as having rich keyword anchor text and helps greatly in defining what your site should rank in the Search Engines.

All in all this is a pretty basic level SEO task. We focus on one search keyword phrase and we localize it to gain a better ranking position. Give it a week or so then check Google, Yahoo or MSN to see if there has been improvement in your SERPs (Search Engine Ranking Positions).

Understand why these small changes have worked and once you see improvement move onto another page and run through the same process with another keyword phrase and so on and so on.
    At all times never make too many changes as then you'll never know what is actually working for you or against you.

All the best,

Paul
    This is a nice post I really enjoy your post this is very helpful for local business.

jackalbin is offline Registered User

SEO Services

This is Amazing .You perform article submission,directory submission,social bookmarking,blog comment and yahoo answer it will help you in heigher the page ranking.

pramodets is offline Registered User
    SEO and SMM both are a part of internet marketing.

priya12 is offline Registered User
    Thanks for useful and important tips.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Share This Thread →

Become Part of This Conversation

Join NowFor Free!

ASP Free Advertisers and Affiliates