1. Contributing User
    ASP Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

When can we expect a return to normalcy?

When can we get this forum to return to the status that existed before the interface change. It is now very slow. It quits. It doesn't load. All of these happen to me regularly. Also, it doesn't work with IE 6. And worse is that it is losing participants.

Alan
    Alan Sidman
    Office 2010, 2007, 2002

If I helped you, then click "give rep" button in the lower left corner.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Editor in Beef
    ASP Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hey Alan,

Sorry you are experiencing these issues. I personally have not seen a slow down or any issues, but I will check in with tech in tomorrow's meeting to see how things are progressing and let them know about this post.

Thanks for reporting it and thanks for the patience while we work out the kinks.
    Editor-in-Chief
    Dev Shed, LLC
  5. ASP Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by alansidman
    Also, it doesn't work with IE 6. And worse is that it is losing participants.

Alan
    Not an issue. IE 6 no longer carries enough market share to warrant the time it takes to design for it. Currently only 6% of the world is using IE 6 and the figure is probably less than 0.2% for visitors to this site.
    Don't like me? Click it.

Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!!
  7. Moderator
    ASP Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I'm sorry you're experiencing problems. I'm checking it, but so far, like James, I haven't seen any issues.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Forum is indeed broken. Noticable lag when entering any forum, still no option to edit messages (which is needed more than new forums I might add), and have never been able to view a member's profile without IE crashing (IE 8). Tried viewing profiles on two different machines, it just freezes.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Editor in Beef

Hey,

Sorry you are having some issues. I brought this up in a meeting the other day and tech ran some speed tests and everything seemed ok, but I'll have them run it on a page where you actually go into a forum category and see if there is something going on.

With regards to the edit issue, I am attaching an image that shows where the button is - if you don't see it, it may be a permission issue that I can look at.

edit post.gif
  13. ASP Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by sqlconfused
    Forum is indeed broken. Noticable lag when entering any forum, still no option to edit messages (which is needed more than new forums I might add), and have never been able to view a member's profile without IE crashing (IE 8). Tried viewing profiles on two different machines, it just freezes.
    Other than speed issues, can you explain these any further? I've never heard either of these complaints. Editing posts has always been allowed for the original poster. However, there were policies in place that did not allow editing posts older than 30 days. As for your crashing problem, I do view member profiles regularly in all versions of IE on several different versions of Windows with no issue. Can you provide any more information so that we can recreate your problem?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If there is an edit option it's well hidden because I've looked repeatedly for one. I see nothing to indicate an edit option.

Here is what I see almost every time I visit the forum or move to a different forum on this site. A background image with no text for about 5 seconds. It's very slow.

17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

19. No Profile Picture
    Editor in Beef

Just FYI, I'm still trying to recreate this and figure out what the issue is. I'll keep you posted.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It may possibly be the twitter/facebook plugins that are being called. The browser indicates it is waiting for pages to load (status bar at the bottom) and I know from running my own site that FB in particular stalls the loading process on my own default ASP page.
  23. ASP Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by sqlconfused
    It may possibly be the twitter/facebook plugins that are being called. The browser indicates it is waiting for pages to load (status bar at the bottom) and I know from running my own site that FB in particular stalls the loading process on my own default ASP page.
    I just ran speed profiles several times.

mystatus.skype.com averages 9.08s per page load.
    facebook.com (oauth) averages 3.2s per page load.
    ssl.gstatic.com (Google+ sprite) averages 2.77s per page load.
    another second or is wasted on 404's trying to load images that don't exist on SEO Chat...most likely dirty code from the changeover.
    The rest is spread out across the other 112 HTTP requests on this page!! (And that's with ABP and a blacklist hosts file. Who knows how many additional requests I'm blocking!)
    (quick tests performed in Waterfox 15.0 with Firebug 1.10.6 on high-speed cable connection with cache enabled to simulate real-life browsing experience.)

Not to be rude, but how much experience do the ninjas have in site speed optimization? This site as it is currently should have never left the sandbox. It's not even remotely production ready.
    Last edited by Nilpo; November 27th, 2012 at 02:13 AM.