This is the project I am doing (code what i have done so far below):

Create an application that handles the recording of employee information for the payroll. A form allows the entry of the following data: employee id (integer), first name (string), last name (string), and salary (decimal). The form should have the buttons: Add (which adds the employee to the end of the Employees.txt sequential file), Clear (which clears all text boxes for a new employee entry), and Exit (which closes the form).

The employee id must be between 0 and 9999. If it is not within this range, an error message should be displayed to the user via an error message label on the form and the Add button disabled until an employee id within range is entered.

The salary must between 0 and 150000. If it is not within this range, an error message should be displayed to the user via an error message label on the form and the Add button disabled until a salary within range is entered.

On another form or in the same form (with additional buttons), allow the user to find an employee via the employee id. If the employee is not found, display an “Employee Not Found” in a label beside the Search button. If the employee is found, the employee’s info is displayed in the employee id, first name, last name, and salary text boxes. The user is allowed to edit any of these fields, except employee id. After they finish editing, the modified information for the employee is saved in their record when the user clicks on the Save button. There is an additional button, CalculateSS, which calculates Social Security deductions based on the employee’s salary (using the formula: Social Security Deductions = salary * 0.02). When the CalculateSS button is clicked, the social security deductions are calculated and appear in the Social Security Deductions label on the form. These deductions are also saved in the employee record (remember to save an empty field for the Social Security deductions). There is also a Clear and Close button whose functionalities are similar to the employee entry form.

Code:
 Option Strict On
Option Explicit On

Public Class PayrollForm

Private path As String = "C:\Users\KeraBaby\Desktop\Payroll\Payroll Project Form\Payroll Project Form\bin\Debug\Employees.txt"

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

End Sub

Private Sub addBtn_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles addBtn.Click

Dim path As String = "C:\Users\KeraBaby\Desktop\Payroll\Payroll Project Form\Payroll Project Form\bin\Debug\Employees.txt"
        Dim i As Integer
        Dim aryText(4) As String

aryText(0) = Me.empIDbox.Text
        aryText(1) = Me.fnamebox.Text
        aryText(2) = Me.lnamebox.Text
        aryText(3) = Me.salbox.Text

Dim objWriter As New System.IO.StreamWriter(path, True)

For i = 0 To 3

objWriter.WriteLine(aryText(i))

Next

objWriter.Close()
    End Sub

Private Sub exitBtn_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles exitBtn.Click
        Me.Close()
    End Sub

Private Sub clrBtn_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles clrBtn.Click

End Sub

Private Sub empIDbox_KeyPress(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.KeyPressEventArgs) Handles empIDbox.KeyPress
        If (e.KeyChar < Chr(48) Or e.KeyChar > Chr(57)) And e.KeyChar <> Chr(8) Then
            e.Handled = True
            addBtn.Enabled = False
            MessageBox.Show("Please enter only numeric values from 0 - 9999")
            addBtn.Enabled = True
        End If
    End Sub

Private Sub salbox_KeyPress(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.KeyPressEventArgs) Handles salbox.KeyPress
        If (e.KeyChar < Chr(48) Or e.KeyChar > Chr(57)) And e.KeyChar <> Chr(8) Then
            e.Handled = True
            addBtn.Enabled = False
            MessageBox.Show("Please enter only numeric values from 0 - 150000")
            addBtn.Enabled = True
        End If
    End Sub

Private Sub cmdFind_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles cmdFind.Click
        'Finds the employee associated with the employee ID entered by the user

Dim ids() As String = {"txtUpdateID.Text"}
        Dim fname() As String = {"txtUpdateFirstName.Text"}
        Dim lname() As String = {"txtUpdateLastName.Text"}
        Dim sal() As Decimal = {CDec("Salupdate.Text")}
        Dim searchfor As String
        Dim Subscript As Integer

'assign the employee ID to a varible
        searchfor = Me.txtUpdateID.Text

'search the ids array for the product ID continue searching until there are no more array elements
        'to search or the employee ID is found

Do Until Subscript = ids.Length OrElse searchfor = ids(Subscript)
            Subscript = Subscript + 1
        Loop

'determaine whether the product ID was found in the ids array
        If Subscript < ids.Length Then
            Me.txtUpdateFirstName.Text = fname(Subscript).ToString
            Me.txtUpdateLastName.Text = lname(Subscript).ToString
            Me.txtSalupdate.Text = sal(Subscript).ToString("C0")
        Else

If empnf.Visible Then
                empnf.Visible = True
            Else
                empnf.Visible = False
            End If
        End If

End Sub
End Class
So far i was able to get the program to write the information to text but i cant seem to get it to read the the sequential file... please help

thank you