Notices

Great community. Great ideas.

Welcome to ASP/Free, a community dedicated to helping beginners and professionals alike in improving their knowledge of Microsoft's development and administration technologies. Sign up today to gain access to the combined insight of tens of thousands of members.

Thread: Control F11 at boot on Dell?

Share This Thread →
    daveslomer is offline Registered User

Question Control F11 at boot on Dell?

I've read a couple of places that Control F11 at boot on Dell will help me not have to reformat and reinstall XP.
    Supposedly, it will reset all files and settings to out of the box state. [My data is backed up, so that's OK.]
    [Well, it's NOT OK, but it's better than the format and reinstall option of death.]

Anybody else heard that? Cuz it doesn't work for me. Control F10 takes me to Dell Diagnostics, but been there.

I also read about a key combo involving F10 to do the same thing, but, since the F11 message was newer than the F10, I didn't bother writing it down.

Any help?

Thanks, Dave S
    Faq

daveslomer is offline Registered User

You have to buy F11 at purchase time...

... to have the option later, according to Dell Tech Support. That makes sense. I've read as much elsewhere.

But luckily I now don't need it. Hope my luck holds out. Especially AFTER I get the courage to install SP2.

Dave Slomer
    Faq

ponkie is offline Registered User

F11 doesn't work

Was just on with) dell technical support and they kept telling me to do a ctlF11 and I kept telling them it doesn't work and they acted like I was an idiot. But it doesn't work. But this is from the same people who told me they can't remote access my computer (of course they can) and that you can download MS office pro free from microsoft on the web. Funny
    Faq

DaleDeakin11 is offline Registered User

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by daveslomer
    I've read a couple of places that Control F11 at boot on Dell will help me not have to reformat and reinstall XP.
    Supposedly, it will reset all files and settings to out of the box state. [My data is backed up, so that's OK.]
    [Well, it's NOT OK, but it's better than the format and reinstall option of death.]

Anybody else heard that? Cuz it doesn't work for me. Control F10 takes me to Dell Diagnostics, but been there.

I also read about a key combo involving F10 to do the same thing, but, since the F11 message was newer than the F10, I didn't bother writing it down.

Any help?

Thanks, Dave S

I know what you are talking about. And That Does work. You have to continously keep pressing Ctrl and F11 and it may take a while but you have to keep pressing them as soon as the "dell" screen comes up.

This will get rid of EVERYTHING!! So make sure that you have anything important saved.

Your Welcome!

Dale
    Faq

jmurrayhead is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleDeakin11
    I know what you are talking about. And That Does work. You have to continously keep pressing Ctrl and F11 and it may take a while but you have to keep pressing them as soon as the "dell" screen comes up.

This will get rid of EVERYTHING!! So make sure that you have anything important saved.

Your Welcome!

Dale
    Please don't resurrect old threads. This is around 3 years old.

Thread Closed.
    jmurrayhead
    Faq

Share This Thread →

Become Part of This Conversation

Join NowFor Free!