1. No Profile Picture
    ASP Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Search and results of a database

Here’s my situation:
    I know a TEENY bit about programming (I understand the concept of a variable, a string, etc.)—but mostly I can only understand enough to modify code, not write it all from scratch myself.
    I have an internal customer (I do marketing/website design/publications for a school) who wants the following:
    When faculty members go to a seminar, he wants them to fill out a form on our website, giving an area for the title of the seminar, an area for a description of the nature of the seminar, a place for comments, a place for their name and email address, and a rating (i.e., “on a scale of 1-10, how highly would you recommend this seminar?”). When they submit that, I would assume that it goes into a database. (That part I know how to do, I’ve done it with an Access Database and an ASP page.) Here comes the more difficult part for me:
    My internal customer also wants there to be a search page, for people who are thinking about attending a seminar. They could search for, say, seminars about troubled teens (or whatever they are wanting to know more about). The search would return results, showing the title of the seminar, the rating, and probably the name of the person who submitted the review. You could then click on the title of each seminar to show the full record for the one you clicked on. My questions are:
    1. Is there a simple way that someone can show me how to do this? (By the way, I am using a DSN-less connection...I couldn’t get the DSN connection working.)
    2. Would it work better if, on the form for submittal, there were boxes that they could check that would be the search terms, and then, on the search form, instead of having a text field for their search (like in a Google search), they just checked off the boxes for what kind of subjects they are looking for in a seminar? (But then what happens if someone goes to a new one, that doesn’t fall under any of the given search fields....?) Also that doesn’t account for if you want to look for one with a specific title (if you know what seminar you want to go to, you just want to see what other users have said about it).
    3. Assuming I can get this working, is there a way to return the results “prioritized”? That is to say, when the results are displayed, the one with the highest user rating (which they gave when they filled out the form) are displayed first, then the rest are in descending numerical order?

Is this something I can do, or should I just outsource it to a programmer??

Thanks for any input!!!!
  3. Contributing User
    ASP Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

It seems like a simple project but a bit difficult to explain over a message board. You better off outsourcing. My advice would be to move your data into a SQL database rather than Access. SQL is more flexible and expandable when it comes to data.