1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    ASP Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Append Query to table

I have created an append query. Inside that query I have one column that take a result from another query and I have about 10 columns that follow that one column by infomation from a table. I do have the query and table "join properties" at "Student-ID".
    I am appending to a blank table but its not putting any other information into the table. The only time it appends if there is information in there. Is there a way to append to table with no records?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    ASP Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

If the table is already created, the append query should be putting the data into it. If you are looking to create the table with the append query, you need to use a "Make-Table" query. If that doesn't help, post the SQL for your query and we'll have a look.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    ASP Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

[QUOTE=asc11]If the table is already created, the append query should be putting the data into it. If you are looking to create the table with the append query, you need to use a "Make-Table" query.

I already have a "Make-Table" query. But sometimes when I run that query it might not put information in the table. So when I run the Append query into the empty table (that was created from the "Make Table" query) it does not put the information into that table. I am just wondering if there has to be data in the table to make the Append query work.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    ASP Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by bigbadbess24
    I am just wondering if there has to be data in the table to make the Append query work.
    No there doesn't have to be data in the table for an append query to work. I am more inclined to believe that the query isn't pulling any data to append.

If you find it isn't working, display the query in datasheet view to see if the query has found any data to append. Also, if the target table is the child in a relationship, make sure that the append query isn't violating any Referential Integrity rules. You may also want to make sure that all data types are correct for the target fields. If you have turned the confirmations off in the options dialog box, or uset SetWarnings Off, you may want to turn them back on to see if there are any massages you should be getting.

If that still doesn't help, please post the SQL you are using for the append query. It may give a clue as to what may be going on.