1. No Profile Picture
    ASP Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Mail Merge Issue - How to Prevent Word from closing Access Database

I am using Microsoft Office 2013. I have mail merge documents set up in Word that are linked to an Access query via DDE. The problem I am having is that when I close the mail merge document, it closes the database. This is an issue for a couple of reasons:

1) I have other documents to merge, and it is a pain to have to keep opening the database each time. Word used to open the database on its own, but does not do that in this version;

2) Some of the merge documents are linked to queries that use data from unbound fields in a form as criteria for the query. Every time it closes I have to re-select my criteria options (it is a shared multiuser database, so I don't want to use a form that is bound to a table).

Even if I open up multiple mail merge documents that use the same database as a source, if I close the initial mail merge document, it closes the database.

Does anyone has a fix/solution to this?
  3. Moderator
    ASP Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Not finding much on this issue but here is one Mail Merge Crashes Access and another Another Mail Merge Crashes Access

Have to ask - Why mail merge and not Access report?

Database is multi-user, split design? Use a 'temp' table for user criteria (table is permanent, data is temporary). Temp table goes in frontend and since each user should run their own copy of frontend, each user has a table for their own use and won't conflict with other users.
    Last edited by June7; April 10th, 2017 at 03:33 PM.
    I like to know if my suggestion helped you. One way to let me know is by clicking star at bottom left corner of post.
    Debug!Debug!Debug!http://www.cpearson.com/excel/debug.htm