1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    ASP Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

SQL Server Express Reinstall creates error

Monday, when I started Visual Studio Express 2013, a notification told me that SQL server 2014 was available for downloading. I downloaded it, and when I went to programs and Features, i noticed i still had Visual Studio 10 and all of it's components, including SQL server 2008 on my machine, as well as SQL Server 2012, and 2014. so i decided to remove all of the components that were associated with VS10, SQL2008, and anything else i installed on the day that VS2010 was installed. This generated a problem with both Visual Studio, and the live version of my website, listed below

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Whenever i tried accessing the database associated with the website, either through VS or IIS, that problem cropped up. So i reinstalled all components of SQL Server Express, including Management Studio, Database engine, and all tools associated with SQL Server 2012. It fixed that problem, however it generated another.
    Last edited by Superdawg; May 5th, 2014 at 12:28 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    ASP Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Fixed, one of the connection strings for the Role Database in IIS was referencing the .\SQLEXPRESS instance when the database didn't exist in that instance. Didn't cause a problem until SQLExpress full version was installed, and the instance actually existed.