1. No Profile Picture
    ASP Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Sql injection in php

i have implemented a way to avoid sql injection from the php website from this url
    http://in.php.net/mysql_real_escape_string from the "Example #3 A "Best Practice" query" section of this page

following are the steps i have followed after the form values are submitted to a php file.

step 1.

$username = stripslashes($_POST["username"]);
    $username = $_POST["username"];
    step 2.
    $conn = mysql_connect($hostname, $user, $password);
    step 3.
    $insertquery = sprintf("INSERT INTO table (`username`, ...) VALUES ('%s', ...)", mysql_real_escape_string($username, $conn), 
    step 4.
    header("Location: http://website/dberror.html"); 
    mysql_select_db($database, $conn);
    $insertqueryresult = mysql_query($insertquery);       
    	if(!$insertqueryresult)	{		
    	header("Location: http://website/error.html"); 
    	exit; 	                }     
    with the above method i am able to insert values into the table even with if i enter the ' special character which can cause

i have also used a simple sql insert query like
    $insertquery = "INSERT INTO table(username, ...) VALUES ('$username', ...)";
    when i used this simple insert query and if i entered ' in the form and submitted the form the php file is unable to process

the information entered because of the ' character and as per the code error.html file is being displayed where as if i use
    $insertquery = sprintf("INSERT INTO table (`username`, ...) VALUES ('%s', ...)", mysql_real_escape_string($username, $conn), 
    even if i enter any number of ' characters in more than 1 form field data is being inserted into the table

so i am thinking that the steps i have taken from the php site is correct and the right way to avoid sql injection though

there are several ways to avoid sql injection.

for example if i enter data in the form as = abc'''def for name, the data in the table for the name field is being written as

based on how i have written the steps to avoid sql injection is this the right way for the data to be stored with '

characters along with the data example as i mentioned = abc'''def

please answer the questions a) and b) if there is something else i need to do please suggest what needs to be done exactly

and at which step.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by mehere; May 29th, 2008 at 02:41 PM. Reason: added code tags ... please use them in the future when posting code
  3. No Profile Picture
    ASP Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

The best advice I can give on securing PHP is to escape ALL input fields properly. It has been a common best practice in SQL to also make sure the SQL statements are not concatenated, so if you can find a way to create that kind of interaction in PHP you're even safer. I would like to see more responses to this, though, if more people have a clearer answer.
    Nico del Castillo
    Microsoft Security Outreach Team